Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Onion Soup

For a long time, I didn't like onions at all. As a kid we hated them but as I have grown older my tastes buds apparently have died off some and I like onions just fine now. I saw a recipe on facebook for onion soup that was very simple and had few ingredients so I thought I would try it. You took 6 large chopped onions (I had some small ones but only did seven because it seemed like an awful lot of onions to begin with), cooked them in butter for a few minutes until they softened, put them in the crock pot and added a teaspoon and a half of Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. I added two 32-oz containers of beef broth. You then just let it cook.
Now, all day this was cooking and I could only think of how disgusting I thought it smelled. It also tasted very bland.


 I read the comments on the facebook video and decided to add salt and pepper as one person on the comments mentioned...it was a bit better...still not good. I really felt that if we were going to have it for a meal....it needed meat. I scrambled up about a pound and a half of hamburger. Then shortly before Phil got home I put a few spoonfuls of hamburger in an oven safe bowl, ladled the soup on it, then put three pieces of sliced French bread on top with a shredded Italian cheese mix on top of the bread. I put it under the broiler until the cheese browned.


I just can't tell you how incredibly wonderful this was. So GOOD! Definitely going to have to make this again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky, your soup sounds and looks good. I like to throw stuff together for a soup or stew. Good to be back on track and visiting my fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete