Sunday, August 24, 2014

Poor Man's Meal


The idea for this meal came from Clara. If you have never seen Clara and her Meals from the Depression on Youtube you really must go see them. Here is a link to the one I got this recipe from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA
She is a wonderful lady in her 90's with, as you can imagine, lots of cooking experience. The Poor Man's Meal really intrigued me. My version is slightly different because I don't have Clara's sauce to add to it but it was still pretty good (there is a video for Clara's sauce too, I just haven't gotten to it yet).
It is a very basic meal:  potatoes, onions and smoked sausage (Clara used hotdogs). You cut up the potatoes in small chunks, then the sausage into small slices and add a cut up onion. I used a Vidalia onion because I happened to have some Vidalias which are nice and sweet (not all Vidalia onions are, even though they are all supposed to be sweet). You add oil, salt and pepper and fry all of it until the potatoes are done. When I tried it I felt it was a little bland (missing Clara's sauce perhaps) so I added a few sprinklings of hot sauce and thought it was much better. I think next time maybe a chili pepper or some hot pepper flakes? But you could add any spice or herb you want.
Anyway it is a ridiculously cheap meal especially if you have your own potatoes or get some on sale.


13 comments:

  1. That would be good even if you didn't have the hot dog, a little bit of that sausage would be great though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can add eggs to the mix, too! It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs do sound like a good addition! I'll have to remember that next time we make it.

      Delete
  3. I call this hash and often make it with left over beef or pork, chicken would work too I'm sure. My grandfather often made fried potatoes and onions for a meal. Make sure you get the edges of the potatoes a little crunchy for extra goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I cooked it because Phil is so impatient that he makes mushy potatoes.

      Delete
  4. We make something very similar as well. Very inexpensive and SO filling and hearty. Sometimes the old things are still the best, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have that with Corned Beef instead of the sausage - and a big dollop of tomato ketchup improves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We buy corned beef hash in a can that is potatoes, onions and corned beef but to buy corned beef by itself is really high here. I love corned beef and cabbage but can hardly ever afford the corned beef :(

      Delete
    2. I was looking on the All American Canner website for recipes. They pressure 'cooked' a pork loin in a little water with pickling spices tied in a bag. Not a 'corned' recipe, per se, but it sounded good to me. That might be something to look in to. Also, I have made 'hash' with your recipe many times, and my children want eggs and cheese stirred in.

      Delete
  6. Hi Becky! That dish so reminds me of my grandfather, who was a cook in the army! He made the best meals from practically nothing! Yum! I know what you mean about the Vidalia's! Most of the ones I buy are more hot than sweet! I guess you have to go to Vidalia, GA to get the true ones! Is that very far from you?Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidalia is quite a ways from here. I was very surprised when these were so sweet because like you said, the ones I get usually aren't and I just buy them anyway because they are on sale. I bet your grandfather had some really great recipes.

      Delete
  7. Dịch vụ Check domain miễn phí từ inet. giúp các bạn check domain kiểm tra tên miền nhanh chóng và chính xác
    Công cụ webtin cho phép Tao web mien phi nhanh chóng, chuyên nghiệp. Website được khởi tạo nhanh chóng và đẹp mắt
    Kênh Tin tức trực tuyến cập nhật tin tức nhanh chóng nóng hổi
    Đăng ký nhận Ten mien mien phi từ iNET. Tên miền đẹp giúp các bạn kinh doanh thuận lợi hơn
    Dạy Hoc seo từ cơ bản tới chuyên sâu. Chúng tôi đã có nhiều năm kinh nghiệm về dạy học seo luôn đảm bảo chất lượng đào tạo
    Chuyên trang Xa lộ tin tức cập nhật tin tức xã hội, thể thao nhanh chóng
    Chuyên trang Tin tức bóng đá cập nhật tin tức bóng đá 24/7 nhanh nhất chính xác nhất. Hãy cùng chúng tôi cháy cùng đam mê

    ReplyDelete