Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Harvest from the Kid's Garden

Some of you have asked me about the kid's garden at the Club. Unfortunately, I have hardly no time to get out there and it has been horribly hot here lately. I can't take kids outside when it is that hot. I thought maybe I could take them in the morning but my 7:30 when I get there it is already too hot. I did make a quick run out to it today though and this is what I brought in. Even with all the grass weeds that are growing in the beds, they are still producing just fine.

There are a lot more tomatoes and peppers out there but there aren't at lot of squash and the pattypan squash has done the worst so far, the peppers have done the best with the tomatoes running a close second. No cucumbers. The heat beat them right away and very few carrots as the soil in our beds needs more organic matter, I think, it is a bit hard and sandy. We got strawberries but the ants eat them before we can get them. We had a few blueberries too but not many. Most of the herbs that survived the late frost are still looking good but the beans are suffering in the heat.
Here is a picture my boss took.



12 comments:

  1. Nice photo! You can see the sense of satisfaction about growing those veggies. Now, did you get the kids to eat the harvest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sent some home with the parents so at least some of the kids are getting to eat them. I couldn't use the kitchen to cook any at the Club as we now serve lunch.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yup, peppers, squash and tomatoes. Probably had some onions I could pick too but I didn't have any more room in my arms. I will remember to bring a bucket next time :)

      Delete
  3. Look at those peppers! nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that full sun out there grows some great peppers but other things just don't survive it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky, your vegetables look good to me. Not sure how mine will go. Nothing but rain and cold here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping you get something. That is usually what I hope for with my garden at home too.

      Delete
  5. HI Becky! Wow! That's a nice harvest, to have been somewhat neglected! The photo of you with the veggies is great! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky,

    Nice harvest from the kids garden!!!!
    The kids and parents will love receiving vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they sat there on the counter of the desk with a Free sign and no one took them. I gave some away to the lady who does snack for us and took the rest home.

      Delete
  7. Wow the peppers look great....nice bounty. :-)

    ReplyDelete