Monday, August 26, 2013

Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, NC

As some of you who are on my facebook page know, we actually went somewhere! We went to North Carolina for my oldest sons wedding.
Being from New Hampshire and living in Georgia means Phil and I dearly miss seeing mountains on the horizon so it was a wonderful thing when the mountains came into view and the ones by the hotel we stayed at were particularly nice.

The hotel was The Lake Lure Inn and Spa and it is where the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed. There is a large main building and then a smaller more motel like "beach side" rooms.


There is a lake beach across the road from it but we weren't exactly "beach side" from our rooms. Anyway, the place really is lovely for a hotel. To get there you have to go down the small incredibly winding road. I have been through the Appalacian mountains many times and there are a lot of twisty roads but never like this one.
After we had settled in we went down the road to the little tourist town of Chimney Rock. So named for its chimney rock, of course. After seeing how high up it was we decided not to make the climb.
Though I wouldn't have minded a closer look at this waterfall.
There is just one street of touristy shops and we paid our dollar to park and went to visit them. I only took one picture in one of the gem shops.
Behind the shops was the "river" though it looked like a large stream to me.

Well, I was going to add to this post where and what we ate but some of those pictures are on Michelle's phone which, of course, is never charged so that will have to wait for another post. I will be posting later today, pictures of the gardens around the hotel if I get the chance.
I'll leave you with this last shot of my son and his new wife. They are a great couple and I believe are going to be quite happy!


8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! Best wishes to Buddy and his new wife. I wish them every happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    Congratulations to your son and daughter in law on their recent marriage.

    Oh beautiful, I can tell you enjoyed yourself in the beautiful mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking country, kind of like around where we live only the mountain is a little rougher than ours. You had good weather for the wedding, happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful couple! Glad you were able to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Becky! Your son looks so handsome in uniform! And I love the bride's dress! Prayers for a long and happy marriage! The scenery is fantastic! I love the chimney rock! Imagine the view from there! I love the creek or river as they call them in NC! The mountains are my favorite place to be, along a creek just like that! I would love to live close to a place like that!
    Ellijay is having their apple festival in Oct. You and Phil may want to drive up! It shouldn't be too far from where you live! It's very mountainous there as well. Of course you can go any time to the orchards. R&A is our favorite! They have the best cider! Sorry for rambling! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your son and daughter in law, I hope they have a long and properous life together. The scenery there is nice. What they call a river is a creek here in Alaska,lol

    ReplyDelete