Monday, December 17, 2012

Harvest Monday- Lemonade


My lemons, of course, were last weeks harvest but I hadn't done anything with them until this morning.  I was so anxious to pick them but then couldn't bring myself to cut into one. I did pick them up almost every day just to smell them though and make sure they were still nice and firm. I meant to make my lemonade this weekend but the apple jelly happened instead so this morning I decided not to put it off any longer and I dug out the little hand juicer.
Six little Meyer lemons do not make much juice, though they do have lots of seeds.
Yes, this was all the juice from all six of them. I just added water and sugar. A little over a quart. The taste makes it all worth it though. This was the sweetest nicest lemonade I have ever had.

The peels went in a jar with some vinegar and water to make some cleaner with. Someone suggested making some kind of candied lemon peel but I am trying to cut back some so more candy is not a good option for me this time.
To see all the Monday's Harvest hop on over to Daphne's Dandelions.

15 comments:

  1. I've though about growing a Meyer lemon in a container. I bought some last year and made lemon butter (curd) with them. I'll bet that lemonade was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh lemonade is so delicious and to have made it with lemons you grew yourself would be even more satisfying. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Citrus up here seems so out of reach....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I'd love fresh squeezed lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not tried the citrus cleaner - how do you find it?
    Love Leanne Nz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meyers do make the BEST lemonade. And they make great curd, like Dave said. They also make really good marmalade, and I don't really like marmalade, but I make an exception for Meyer marmalade. I like to use meyer juice in a honey and mustard vinaigrette also. Hope you get a big crop of Meyers next season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky! That's great! Your very own homemade Meyer lemonade! I like how you used the peelings! Neat idea! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade lemonade delish!! it must be rewarding to pick your own lemons, we don't have the right climate for growing lemons(have tried many times)
    but I do have other fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have the right climate either which is what makes this tricky.

      Delete
  9. Have you considered making Moroccan-style preserved lemons? I think they only need the skins, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! How did you get the lemon out of its peel like that!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a regular hand juicer. The kind where you cut the fruit in half then push it down on the pointed thing and turn it around and around.

      Delete
  11. Yum!! Can't wait to get a Meyer Lemon tree (next year). Thanks!!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete