Sunday, February 19, 2012

Greenhouse Roof

So today was the day to put the greenhouse roof on and it was raining. It wasn't a hard rain though and then it turned into more like a sprinkle so we went out to do the roof anyway. My greenhouse has always been just pure plastic over wood but I have always wanted the corrugated roofing put on it. This roofing is plastic and costs us $15 a sheet but we only needed 5 sheets, a little wood and some screws with a type of rubber washer on them (I really don't know what they are called, sorry).
First step, put the wood on:

Second step put the first panel on. He actually bent the panel over the peak so we would not have to deal with a seam at the top. It didn't work perfectly and took a little "tweeking" but it did work.

Keep adding panels and screwing them down:
And the finished product:
Then I spent quite a while putting plastic on the back and on the door. I also had a lot of clean up to do inside (and outside) and it is not quite done even yet, but it looks a whole lot better. My seedlings are still in there but I did lose several over the weeks that I had to go to work all day. These were the tomatoes so I may have to buy a few after all but the peppers and herbs are still in the house. We have a bit of a cold snap coming, at least the nights will be cold, so I may not move everything out there until the middle of next week. I will, however, be glad to get the lemon tree out there. It has not really thrived in the dry heat of the house though I have put it on the porch as much as possible.

10 comments:

  1. Well done. I am anxious to see what all you will be planting come Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I also was worried about the "seam" at top so we made mine flat; one wall is about a foot higher than the other. lol! I finally saved up enough to put panels on all the walls this year. It was all plastic with a paneled roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would like to do that as well, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job. I cant wait to see what you will grow in them now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Becky. It'll be interesting what kind of temp gain you see in the green house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Becky for getting it finished! Will it get much light under the trees?

    I know I must get going and spring clean my greenhouse but keep putting it off as the thought of all that hosing down and scrubbing and then probably ending up getting soaked myself into the bargain just doesn’t tempt me at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It gets great light in the spring which is when I really need it then it gets some shade in the summer when it would be too hot and need a shade cloth anyway so it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet your plants will love it, it's been raining a lot in Sydney and our garden is very wet. Can't wait to get out and get the veggie garden going again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done, Becky! What type of plants did you plant this last spring? Did you plant some cabbages, broccoli, carrots, or beets? Well, these are the plants that really bloom beautifully at spring. Hopefully, you can build another garden house like this so you can nurture different type of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oohh, I’m glad that you have a roof for your greenhouse! That roof will be able to regulate the temperature or make the cold last longer for those plants who love the cold. Metal roofing can also help to warm or cool the greenhouse depending on the season. I can’t wait to see your plants to flourish under your care!

    ReplyDelete