Sunday, December 11, 2011

The History of the Cookie



Today I am baking cookies. This year we will have mini M&M cookies and chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. Baking cookies is something I do before Christmas every year. It started as a way to make the time go faster for the kids an it quickly became a yearly thing.

The word "cookie" comes from the Dutch word "koekje" which means "little cake". According to historians cookies came about because when baking cakes women would bake a small bit of batter to test the oven temperature.

For more on the history of cooking you should read Linda Stradley's article here.

Ok, so I might have overdone it just a little bit this year. This is my big cookie jar which I usually fill (after everyone eats some) with a few left over. This year I have that one full plus had to go get the huge cookie jar (it hasn't been used since I got it) and then there were still 5 or 6 that couldn't fit.
And believe it or not, I originally had planned to make peanut butter cookies as well.  

15 comments:

  1. I don't eat many cookies (we call them biscuits)myself, but at Christmas-time I make an exception. I like the chocolate-covered ones best! Peanut Butter cookies sound great too. Are they sweet or savoury? Wiould they go well with cheese, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes we can get a little carried away when baking cookies. I figure while I have all the ingredients out I may as well make the most of it. I freeze all my cookies and take them out in little batches as I need them. I'll be baking mine this week. Maa

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all sweet Mark. No cheese with cookies, milk maybe but no cheese, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want some cookies! Maybe I'll make some cookies. Christian keeps asking for cookies even though we don't have any; and any that I have made he wouldn't eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I maybe can send another box Samantha, lol. Need to do something with them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making cookies and cakes only problem is now that the kids are gone I eat them.
    They look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your filled cookie jars! I'm going to make some of the thumbprints with Hershey Kisses, like you suggested...sound just yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, that is my problem too :(
    Lynda, I have not made the Hershey's Kisses ones but have always wanted to. Have to find another cookie jar for all that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, I did not know that anyone still had actual cookie jars...really neat.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Mr. H. I wonder where you are from since everyone I know has a cookie jar of some sort. I believe the one I had before these was shaped like a bear and I know my sister has an exact copy of my smaller one in the picture at her house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look very festive! And I bet they are tasty! Always fun to bake cookies!

    Thank you for your comment, and for 'finding' me.

    I'll be back to read, and follow. (wink)

    Blessings,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. What kind are the light swirly looking ones at the bottom of the jars?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the paper towel on the bottom of the jar to in case there is any moisture, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I could make white swirly ones like that!

    ReplyDelete