Thursday, November 3, 2011

Two Good Magazines

I think that it is possible that I have "issues" with collecting magazines. It isn't that I don't read them, it is just that I can't get rid of them after I do. They are so full of good information and I do read them again from time to time. Here are two new ones that I picked up at our local Tractor Supply that I found particularly useful.

Heirloom Gardener
Heirloom gardener has been published by Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company since 2003. I have their first issue here somewhere and at the time I bought it I thought it was going to be a really good magazine but at that time the subscription price was much higher and I couldn't afford paying what they wanted for just 4 issues.
I was pleased to find it at Tractor Supply this week and browsed through it. While the magazine is predominantly about vegetables there were also articles on canning, cheese making, and turkeys. As well as articles on growing fruit, wheat, roses and cover crops. I think it is an extremely useful magazine for anyone wanting to be more self sufficient. The best part is that the subscription price is now only $12 for 4 issues so I will be ordering mine soon. You can order a subscription at http://rareseeds.com/magazine/ .

Then yesterday I went to pick up some cat food and found this magazine at Tractor Supply:
This is a wonderful magazine for a vegetable gardener. It had all sorts of good articles. I especially needed to read up on growing cabbage and garlic since that is what I have growing now. It also had articles on staking tomatoes (which I always have problems with), making a hay bale raised bed, growing blackberries, dill, shallots, tomatillos, celery and asparagus. Plus it has regional seed picks and lots of great recipes. When I see a gardening magazine with recipes that look good and I really want to try, it makes all the difference to me. Unfortunately this magazine was a special issue from Fine Gardening but they do have a great website at http://www.vegetablegardener.com/  .

2 comments:

  1. I just love the selection of books and magazines at Tractor Supply. Hubby always knows where to find me when we go there.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same with the Kitchen Garden magazine, which I've been buying since Issue 1. I can't bear to part with them.

    ReplyDelete