Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Freezing Bananas

I just wanted to do a little post on freezing bananas. Maybe everyone knows how to do this already but at one time I didn't know you could freeze bananas so I am posting it anyway. This week I got a bag of bananas for $2 and with only me, Phil and Michelle here they just didn't get eaten so this morning I mashed them...






with a little lemon juice added. I don't know exactly how much. I had 12 large bananas and probably used a couple tablespoons of lemon juice. I put a cup and a half in each bag because that is how much it takes to make banana bread and then I just put them in the freezer.

13 comments:

  1. Pretty smart! I'll pass this along to Fred.
    The only thing I do in the kitchen is clean it.
    Great job!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mashed banana doesn't LOOK nice, but I bet it will be a sight more palatable when it's made into banana bread (one of my favourite Far Eastern holiday foods, incidentally.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea! Will be on the look out for on sale bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope not everyone knows how to freeze bananas. so thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will turn slightly darker in the freezer but it will make no difference in the bread or in banana cookies or muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lazy...I just toss ripe bananas into the freezer in their skins!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never done it this way must try. Usually I just pop them whole, peeled and wrapped. The kids love them cos they're like eating an icy pole. Bananas here have been really expensive this year so only a luxury item unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Dmarie. They come out black on the outside, and perfectly mashable on the inside. If you really want to get fancy, you can stick them (peeled) on wooden chopsticks, dip them in chocolate, and freeze them. Yum, banana pops!

    Hey, how are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realise bananas could be frozen, a good tip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am coughing but feeling better. Spent one whole night with my sinuses draining but it helped.
    I have never tried freezing bananas in their skins but I may have to try at least a couple just to have a banana pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always frozen the 'naners in their skins, but never this way. Sounds easy enough!!

    ReplyDelete