Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes

There seemed to be a lot of fresh produce on sale this week at the store. We came home with broccoli, turnips, peppers, sweet potatoes, grapes and bananas. Sweet potatoes are not one of our favorite vegetables. I like them alright but Phil doesn't really like them at all. However, sweet potatoes are quite popular here in the South (baked) and came be quite cheap when in season. I have heard about dehydrating them but had never tried it until today. It is pretty simple, just peel, slice, mix up with a little salt and put them in the dehydrator to dry. They taste pretty good though to me they are not as good as dried zucchini snacks but not bad nonetheless.  A good healthy snack anyway. I will be taking them to work with me along with my usual jar of homemade yogurt that also got  made today.
In other news, I did find the lye for soap making! Yeah! I can't wait to try it again. Need a new thermometer and rubber gloves and maybe a stick blender but then I will be ready.

5 comments:

  1. How long did it take to dry them out? I don't care for sweet potatoes but would be willing to try them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long would a dehydrated Sweet Potato keep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I'll have to give this a try! I wouldn't have thouight to dehydrate sweet potatos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't count the hours. The first batch I left in over night to dry, the second batch took most of one day.
    I don't know how long they would keep but since they are completely dry, I would imagine many months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to mention now that we have tried them that these are really really hard when dry. Maybe they should be blanched first.

    ReplyDelete