Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lasagna

Just one more post for today I promise. I had to do one on the making of lasagna. It is definitely one of our favorite meals but we don't have it very often. A friend taught me how to make it long ago, a year or so after we moved to Georgia.

You need:
Lasagna noodles
spaghetti sauce
hamburger (and sausage if you want)
mozzarella cheese
ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese

Start by browning the hamburger (and sausage). Today I did about a pound and a half of burger and a pound of hot sausage. That is a bit more than I usually do but I had it so I used it.

You then add your sauce. It normally take a bit more than 1 can or jar of sauce. I had a small jar in the freezer from the last time we used half a can so added that to this. In a pinch you can add a can of tomato sauce to make it stretch.

You let the sauce and meat simmer while you cook your lasagna noodles. I normally cook them for about 10 minutes so that they are still cooked but firm. Then you start your layers in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Excuse my stained up glass pan, I have had it for 20 years or more. 
You start with a layer of 3 noodles.
Then a layer of meat and sauce.
Then you add a layer of ricotta.

Then a spread your shredded mozzarella on top of that.

Then you sprinkle the whole thing with Parmesan cheese. 

You do three sets of these layers and the pan will be full. Bake at about 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Then ruin your diet and go eat WAY too much!

2 comments:

  1. I am stranded in an airport and haven't eaten anything yet, your lasagna gave me a very loud growl on my stomach haha. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my greatest discoveries was to find out that you actually do NOT need to pre-cook the lasagna noodles! I used to dread making lasagna just because it was so fiddly working with the wet noodles. Who needs an extra step? Now, I add them straight from the package and just cook the lasagna, as usual. Cook it until you can stick a fork through the noodles. It's a great time saving tip that my mom taught me years ago.

    ReplyDelete