Sunday, July 31, 2011

Good Morning

So it's 9:30 in the morning and I have already butchered 3 of the meat birds, cleaned up the butcher area and taken a shower.


I am rather pleased with myself because the big rooster is in that pot. I did not think I was going to be able to do him myself since he has gotten so big and had taken to biting me whenever I got into the pen. I did manage to get a hold of him though and he was heavy but didn't bite me.
I started the fire at about 6:00 this morning and I sweat to death the whole time doing it. I bet it was 80 F here at 6 o'clock this morning and we are working our way up to 100 F again today.
Anyway, the day has started out so well, I think I'll see what else I can get done.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you inspire me, gal. I was just getting myself out of bed at six! Try to stay cool and enjoy your yummy chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a LOT easier butchering something that bites, isn't it?
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Looks like the start to a busy day. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, it definitely is. I wanted him first but couldn't catch him, but I was determined that he would be one of the chickens I killed today. I don't like having any pen that I have to fear going in. I have a bantam that is going to become soup as well if he pecks at me again.
    Can't say that I got much else done David. I fixed a tear in my sheet, went and paid my rent, fed the animals and have a roast going in the crockpot. The rest of the day has just been lazing in front of the air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an early start to a busy day!! Glad you got a lot done...esp catching Mr. Rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you did get an early start! Looks like dinner will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh, your day started with such success. what a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You actually have to let the chicken sit in ice water or the frig for a few days before you can freezer it or eat it, otherwise it will be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how did you dispatch the big rooster? since he was so big like you said. what breed was he and how old? he must weigh almost 10 pounds?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does that pot contain only that one rooster? It looks like a lot for just one rooster.

    ReplyDelete