Monday, January 24, 2011

Seedlings

I am not sure why I started this post.  I haven't planted anything else but I guess I just wanted to show off how well the seedlings are doing. These are mostly tomato and a few kale seedlings. I don't have anythings else sprouted but it does make my day to wake up and look up in the window and see these up there growing away. Spring is coming. Spring is coming.
Then when I come in with frozen fingers from having to go out and beat the hose to try to get the ice out so that I can get water to the animals and I look under the plastic at the raised bed and nothing has sprouted, I can still come in and look at my windowsil.
Spring is coming. Spring is coming.
The seedlings urge me to go on eBay and buy them more friends. I just put in an order for seed of pak choi, michihili, different colored carrots and Polish Linguisa tomatoes. I have no idea where I will put them BUT SPRING IS COMING AND FRANKLY I THINK IT NEEDS TO HURRY UP!

Ok, so I am stalling so I don't have to go out in the cold and feed the animals. We did catch a raccoon the other day so hopefully he is the one who killed all the chickens and he is now gone. I have reset the trap just in case. I hope you all have a great day and that your seedlings are popping up and growing.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Becky; I'm sure most of us share your impatience for the arrival of spring! I'm interested in the raccoon story - maybe you have the same sort of problems as I have with foxes. BTW, what animals do you have, apart from chickens?
    What is the michihili thing? I must go and look it up. I always like to discover something new, and I have never heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of michihili either. It is Chinese cabbage.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinese-Cabbage-MICHIHILI-75-day-300-seeds-/220719145814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363e2e356
    We have had a problem with a family of raccoons (my neighbor saw a mother and three babies) since the fall of last year. They have eaten about 100 of my chickens. I have only had the trap for about a month but we finally caught one. I hope the others have moved on to their own territories far away from my chickens but I am keeping the traps set just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to read about your chickens Becky. We had a problem with foxes, only lost 5 chickens, however, that was enough to end our chickens free ranging days. We now have a fully enclosed run that also has an electric standout wire at fox height. The day after we installed it, we heard a very loud yelp, we had the dogs with us, so we know it wasn´t one of them. Hopefully it was the fox.....and we haven´t had a chook loss since.

    BTW LOVE the the little seedlings, hurry up spring, for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the chickens who are free ranging are just fine here when it comes to the raccoon, they can get away but the ones in the pens (and then pens are all enclosed, I have lived here 8 years always had chickens and never had this problem before)are trapped and the raccoon can kill them easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky, glad you got the 'coon. Hopefully that'll take care of the problem. Your seedlings look about as impatient as I for spring! I am already dreaming of planting seeds.

    Cathy @ Country Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the birds. Over at the veggie plot, they had similiar issues, though the pen seems pretty tight now.

    I love the little sprouts, that given success will fill baskets with fruit!

    AT 24F we're having a heat wave, but spring IS coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about spring, and the excitement in watching seedlings flourishing. I've only got annual flower seed sprouting at the moment, I like to wait until later in the year to sow my tomato and chilli plants, but when I saw the new growth this morning it provoked a huge grin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your seedlings look great. I'm going to start some in a few weeks. I've got to reset my trap again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some annual flower seeds planted. I want to plant them here and there around the garden to get more bees to come.
    Becky, I kind of felt terrible tonight a raccoon ran in front of the car and my immediate thought was, "You idiot! Why didn't you hit it?" I have a serious hatred of raccoons now and I normally love wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a good reminder for me to start my seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool to have them growing already. I still have winter seedlings out there. I hope I dont get far behind

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Becky! Your seedlings look very healthy and strong! Spring is just around the corner (and then some)! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete